If your roof structure allows, loft conversion with the aim of expanding the living space may become quite an attractive option. If you want to know how much does a loft conversion cost and what items of redesign are of most importance we are going to give you a few hints.
How much does a house extension cost?
Depending on the floor space, the total cost of the work can range from £21,000 for a 20 m2 loft to £63,000 for a 96 m2 space. It also depends on the general type of transformation.
Room in Loft Conversion
This is the most affordable loft conversion option that will cost around £15,000. In this case the works include:
- the floor reinforcement;
- lights installation;
- added insulation;
- the construction of a convenient and safe stairscase;
- electrics and heating works;
- fire safety measures needed to comply with Building Regulations such as smoke alarms and fire doors.
This is a more complex extension with the addition of one or two skylights. If you want to increase the valuable floor space for placing staircase or comfortable room arrangements of space the dormer will be optimal.
The dormer loft conversion may cost a little more than £20,000. However, you will have to pay approximately £35,000 – £45,000 to increase the sleeping space or add a bathroom.
Raising the Roof Structures
This type of extension considers to be the most expensive, as it requires a complex dismantling and restructuring of the original roof. You will need to turn to a designer, and since this kind of conversion requires planning permission approval, you will need to take into account both the cost of the design and the planning application expenses. Raising the roof may cost up to $ 40,000.
There are also ready-made rooms for the loft. They are constructed off-site and then craned into the prepared space. This option is the fastest, but be ready to pay an average of £55,000 for that.
Types of Loft Conversion
- Velux.This is the most affordable option with the construction of one or two windows on the roof for getting more light will cost £21,000-£41,000.
- Dormer. This is the most popular type of conversion in the UK. It is a small flattened extension of the roof with a window of different configurations. If you would like to learn how much this loft conversion cost in London, contact us. However, you should know that the approximate price is £31,000 – £58,000 for a standard dormer and £40,000- £ 60,000 for L-shaped solutions.
- Hip to Gable. This conversion consisted of replacing the roof slopes with the gable wall. The total cost of the work in this case ranges from £42,000 up to £65,000.
- Mansard. This is the most global option with the transformation of the roof and the construction of the walls, which allows you to get a whole residential floor. The price of the mansard will be approximately £45,000 – £75,000 depending on the scale of the work and design. You will also need to obtain planning permission.
Types of Tradesmen
To learn how much loft conversion of a terraced house or a loft may cost you will need the following specialists:
- heating engineer;
Contact us to order a house extension project and get a quality and detailed free quote.